For the development of the first forest level, I initially planned on using "Gaea", a free landscape generation software that allowed users to create basic landscapes quickly. However, due to some issues with the free version of the software, I decided to mold the landscape from scratch using Uneral's Landscape sculpting tools.
.png) |
Creating a basic landscape in Gaea.
|
After molding the landscape, I used the texture paint tool to add the grass and rock faces in the environment, while also adding the path that the player will walk through. While doing this I made sure to playtest the area to make sure the path was both scenic and walkable.
.png) |
| Creating the landscape |
.png) |
| Using the paint tool to add texture to the environment |
Blueprint coding for the materials.
Overhead view of the environment
After adding the texture, I focused on adding rocks and mountains around the landscape to make the terrain less flat and bring more depth to the environment. I did this by downloading pre-generated rock assets from Unreal's Quixel bridge and using the transform and scale tool to place the around the map.
.png) |
| Downloading Assets and textures from the Quixel Library |
.png) |
Adding rocks/terrain to the landscape.
|
After completing this step, I will add in the landscape's foliage and trees to truly make this environment a forest.
Comments
Post a Comment